Costs / Extra's
1. Add a new cost item
2. Set cost item on guest or channel invoice
3. Merging cost items
4. Edit, copy or delete cost
5. Adding costs on a sent invoice
6. Cost and price threshold
7. Costs valid with extra person
8. Linking costs to amenities
9. Preference costs
10. Validity period for costs
11. Editing order of a cost
12. Statistics of costs
13. FAQ - Frequently asked questions
Add a new cost item
You can read here how to add a new cost item. To create a cost item, you have to go through different steps. After saving the data per part, the next part will open automatically so that you can continue with it.
1. Go to the Setup tab;
2. Choose Costs in the right submenu;
3. Click on + New cost.
Please note: By clicking on the flags you can insert translations of the cost items. This is shown to guests who, for example, book via a foreign search & book.
1. Enter the Name of the cost;
2. Enter (if desired) a short Description which will show when the guest presses the 'i' icon on the website;
3. Determine the Kind of the cost;
More information: In order to make the connection with external channels even faster and better, we have built in the possibility to add a kind to a cost item. The channel can use this label to recognize what kind of cost item it is. In this way, the channel can automatically link cost items from Booking Experts to cost items that the channel uses on its website. This saves a lot of time and prevents mistakes.
4. Determine the Selectability;
- Mandatory - This cost item is charged as standard with every reservation (for example, tourist tax).
- Back office - Selectable only by receptionists.
- Selection by guest - To be chosen by the guest on the website. A distinction can be made between online reservation and upgrade (via auto-email or My environment) by means of the following choices:
- Both selectable during booking process and during upgrade;
- Only selectable during booking process;
- Only selectable during upgrade.
- Important - This is a cost item that is visible on the site and is checked by default. The guest will have to consciously uncheck this cost item if he does not wish to use it.
5. Determine if explicit acceptance of the terms is mandatory for the cost;
More information: In this case, after selecting the cost item, the guest will see the conditions (which must be entered in the description), on which they must explicitly agree.
6. Determine if you want to ask the guest a question whilst booking the cost item;
More information: For example a question for possible allergies when booking a breakfast package.
7. Save the entered data to go to the next step.
8. Determine to which type or types the cost applies;
9. Determine to which channel or channels the cost applies;
10. Save the entered data to go to the next step.
11. Determine the price calculation: This can be, for example: per stay, per person per night, per person, per pet, etc. If you choose a percentage, the amount you enter is also the percentage. If you choose another option, it is a fixed amount;
- Percentage of the total rent amount (discount incl.): the price set in the price list minus any discount (through a discount action) and all costs that are marked as rent.
You can set up a cost item in such a way that the cost item is variable. In the cost item you can determine that the price is an editable price. We call this a variable cost item. In that case, an employee with advanced reception permission can adjust the price on the order.
- To which guest groups the cost item applies;
- From which number (persons/pets) the cost item is valid;
- Maximum number (persons/pets) that count for the calculation.
- How many of these costs are available (bicycle rental);
- Stop selling when you reach the maximum stock;
- The maximum number that can be booked in 1 reservation.
- What minimum price should the cost item have for a percentage over a small amount:
13. Determine the default prices:
More information: If desired, enter a different price per period, the start date of the reservation being the guiding principle for the calculation.
14. Determine the pricing policy:
If standard prices are used, this ensures that the price is the same for all types and through all channels. It is possible to deviate from this on the following levels:
- Separate price per type - Configure a price per type (per period). This price is used for all channels to which this cost applies;
- Separate price per channel - Configure a price per channel (per period). This price is used for all types to which this cost applies;
- Separate price per price and channel - Configure a separate price per type ánd channel (per period).
15. Save the entered data to go to the next step;
16. Determine the ledger account to which the cost item is to be posted. If desired, you can determine the ledger account per channel to which the cost item must be booked;
17. Determine the listing of the cost item on the invoice;
- Determine if grouped in 1 single invoice item whether this should differ per channel;
Please note: The cost item will be included in the percentage calculation of the commission agreement with owners and any cost items with a calculation of the total rent amount.
19. Is the guest allowed to pay the cost item on arrival? Use the 'Do not invoice' setting;
More information: In the booking process and on the invoice, the cost item is shown as to be paid on arrival. The further billing and payment of this is done outside of Booking Experts.
20. Determine the policy for cancellation invoices;
- Include in the charge basis: This means that it is included in the cancellation rate. For example 30% of the costs. You use this, for example, for cost items for extra persons.
- Copy as is: This means the cost item is placed on the cancellation invoice as is. Think for example of a cancellation insurance, you want this to be 100% on the cancellation invoice and paid.
- Exclude: This means that the cost must not be paid by the guest in case of cancellation. For example with tourist tax.
21. Save the entered data to go to the next step;
22. Determine the validity of the cost item;
- Never valid; The title 'Validity' is bolded for 'Never valid' cost items to emphasize the fact that it will not be used.
- Valid for a specific period; then select the period group in which the cost item should apply.
- Preference costs when choosing a specific accommodation;
- Late check-out selection in the reservation or when the cost item is booked in the reservation process.
24. Save the entered data to go to the next step;
Access cards (optional)
This allows you to link the purchase of a cost item to the automatic generation of one or more access cards. Think of shower cards that are generated before arrival when the cost item 'Extra shower sessions' is booked. These are automatically linked to the reservation.
26. Save the entered data to go to the next step;
This allows you to link the purchase of a cost item to the automatic generation of one or more todos. Think of bringing a sheet package which must be done before arrival when the cost item 'Extra bed linen' is booked. These are automatically linked to the reservation.
28. Save the entered data.
Set cost item on guest or channel invoice
Cost items can apply to different channels. A channel can be a touroperator or reseller. For a touroperator, both a guest and channel invoice are prepared. For a reseller, this is only a guest invoice. After the cost item(s) has been created, you can set for this cost item whether it should appear on the guest or channel invoice.
1. Click on the Gear icon at the top right;
2. In the right submenu click on Channels;
3. Click on the channel for which the cost items should be set;
4. Click on Edit;
5. At Invoicing of rent and costs you can determine the invoicing of the rent and the cost items. You can set the billing per cost item if one cost item must appear on the guest invoice and the other cost item must appear on the channel invoice.
You also have the option to use the same setting for all cost items.
Merging cost items
2. In the right submenu, choose Costs;
3. Click on Merge;
6. Enter the Name of the cost item;
7. Enter a brief explanation of the cost item in the Description (if applicable). The guest will see this description when they click on the 'i' button on the site;
8. Click Continue to the next step to save the changes;
10. Agreed? Merge costs to make it final.
Edit, copy or delete cost
2. In the submenu on the right, select Costs;
3. Find the cost you wish to edit and click on the cost;
4. You can now select whether to edit, copy or delete the cost.
A change in the expenses is only applied to new invoices. If an existing invoice needs to be amended then you must make a new mutation invoice for this.
2. Select Edit;
3. Go to the Validity sub tab;
4. Check 'Never valid' and click Save Changes.
Adding costs on a sent invoice
It is possible to charge extra costs to a visitor after sending an invoice by means of increasing the costs.
1. Go the the reservation in question;
2. On the right side, the option is available to add the default costs and arrangements;
3. Via '+' you can add the default costs and arrangements;
4. The system will credit the old invoice fully in either case and will create a new concept invoice which will copy all items of the previous invoice;
5. After being checked, the concept invoice can be sent either manually or via email;
6. Payments will be transferred to the new invoice automatically.
Cost and price threshold
Costs function with price thresholds. This means that you can enter multiple prices for one cost.
Cleaning costs for a 6-person accommodation:
Price until 01-01-2021: € 45,-
Price from 01-01-2021: € 55,-
For bookings with a check-in date until 01-01-2021, the cleaning costs will be € 45. For a check-in date from 01-01-2021, the cleaning costs are € 55, -.
Cost valid with extra person
You can have costs to be charged mandatorily from a certain amount of persons.
This can be necessary in for example the following situations:
- Standard rent of an accommodation is based on 2 people. When a booking is made for more persons, from the 3rd person more rent needs to be charged.
- When a certain accommodation has standard 4 beds and a reservation is made for 5 people, for the 5th person an amount has to be charged for an extra bed.
1. At Selectability, choose the option Mandatory;
2. Next, choose Price per person or per night;
3. Select the groups counting toward this cost (Adults, Teens, Children, Babies);
4. Persons or pets count from. If, for example, you indicate 4, the price will be charged at a reservation of 5 or more persons;
5. Maximum number of persons or pets which count. This is where you enter the maximum number of persons the cost will apply to.
Linking costs to amenities
It is possible to connect the tags that the customer uses to amenities. This way you can charge preference costs when a customer filters on an accommodation on the waterside or one with a jacuzzi.
Note: A tag should be connected to the accommodation on which it is applicable.
1. Whilst entering the details of the cost (at the bottom of the form) you will find the possibility to link the cost to a specific amenities set;
2. Select the desired amenities;
3. Save the cost.
When making a reservation through the front- or back-office and the tag 'on the waterside' is filtered, the costs that have been linked to this tag will automatically be charged.
If you would like to charge for choosing a particular house, then you can charge a preferred cost for this.
1. Go to the tab Setup;
2. Click in the right submenu for Costs;
3. Click New;
4. Fill in the details;
5. At Validity you are able to check the option for Preference costs;
6. Save the changes.
Validity period for costs
It is possible to create costs that are valid for a certain period.
When a cost is always valid (for example linen package), you can fill in Always valid. If you for example have a cost that is only valid during the Christmas holiday (for example Christmas dinner) you can fill in Valid for a specific period and you can choose the date in which there should be an overlap with the reservation. Please note that if there is an overlap with these dates, the cost will apply.
Editing order of a cost
2. Click on Costs in the right submenu;
3. Click on the Reorder button;
You can also determine the position in the overview of the cost item. Do you adjust the position from the cost item? Then this will also be the position in the sort list.
- Packages - in order of the package list;
- Cost items that are linked to an invoice line - in order of the invoice display list;
- Other cost items - in order of the sorting list.
Statistics of costs
For each cost, you can gain insight into its performance. The bar chart shows the invoiced turnover for the past 24 months. The amounts are shown including VAT.
Please note! This is about invoiced turnover. Suppose that a guest makes a reservation for July in January. The costs in the guest's order are invoiced in January. The turnover from this cost will then be included in the statistics for January and not July.
FAQ - Frequently asked questions
- How can I find the costs that are 'Never valid'?
This is possible by checking the box next to "Include costs without validity period".
- Modify reservation with new or old rate for cost item - When I edit a reservation, the old rates of the cost item are applied. How do I change this?
When a reservation is modified, but the creation date of the reservation is still in the period of the 'old' tariff of the cost item, the system will select the 'old' rate for this so that the amount on the invoice does not change automatically. This may of course be undesirable.
If you want to apply the new rate, you will have to modify the invoice manually.
- Pass cost item on to channel - I can't seem to add a cost item to a reservation and pass it on to the channel. What am I doing wrong?
For each cost item, you determine the amount and who has to pay it. You have probably stipulated that the cost items of a reservation from a channel will be charged to the guest. You will have to change this.
Go to the cost item and click Edit. You want the cost item to be paid by the channel, and you can change this at Apply to reservations. If you save this change, you can add the cost item to the channel invoice.
- Answer to cost item with question - I have a cost item where I ask the guest a question. Where can I find the answer given by the guest?
If you use a cost item where you ask the guest a question during a reservation with a cost item, you can find the answer in two places:
1. In the overview of the reservations. Here you will find a text bubble with the answer to the question;
2. In the reservation. The answer is shown in the reservation details.
3. If the cost is linked to a todo, in the overview of the todos and in the note field of the todo.
- Costs for a feature will be calculated even if this feature has not been filtered.
In the expense you can establish that it will be calculated if the guest selects a special feature filter. Like this you can, for example, charge extra costs if the guest selects the jacuzzi feature filter in Search & Book.
If a guest books a specific accommodation on the map, without selecting filters, and this accommodation "happens" to have the jacuzzi feature, the extra costs will still be calculated. This is due to the fact that the guest consciously chooses for an accommodation with this feature.