In this article you can read everything about the direct link to Vrbo, formerly known as HomeAway, and the settings you have to go through.
Vrbo is a channel that is directly connected to us. It works through a pull connection, which means that Vrbo collects the data from Booking Experts. Vrbo is a full content link. This means that the entire setup is read. The entire setup is queried on a daily basis (1x per day) by VRBO and availability will be updated hourly.
In order to link with Vrbo, you have to apply in two separate places.
After downloading the app, register your organization at Vrbo via this link. In the notes, you can state that you use Booking Experts and that your contact is Inga Penkina. The application will then be processed as quickly as possible.
2. Booking Experts
Tell our support that you want to link with Vrbo. They can prepare the technical link in Booking Experts. You can do this via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note! The stated percentage applies to the amount paid by the visitor at the time of cancellation and not to the total amount of the reservation. It is important to properly align your payment arrangement with the Vrbo channel. Vrbo offers 5 cancellation policies:
1. No refund: No refund is offered upon cancellation.
2. Strict: For bookings canceled up to 60 days before the start of the stay, the guest will receive a 100% refund.
3. Firm For bookings canceled up to 60 days before the start of the stay, the guest will receive a 100% refund. For bookings canceled up to 30 days before the start of the stay, the guest will receive a 50% refund.
4. Moderate: For bookings canceled up to 30 days before the start of the stay, the guest will receive a 100% refund. For bookings canceled up to 14 days before the start of the stay, the guest will receive a 50% refund.
5. Relaxed: For bookings canceled up to 14 days before the start of the stay, the guest will receive a 100% refund. For bookings canceled up to 7 days before the start of the stay, the guest will receive a 50% refund.
Please note: If you cancel a reservation from Vrbo in Booking Experts, the reservation will automatically be cancelled at Vrbo.
- All prices etc. are specified in the currency of the chosen master brand (for example, EUR in the case of the master brand FeWo-Direkt.de). This means you must support the currency that relates to the chosen master brand;
- At least 1 (active) payment provider must be set up to handle payments in the currency of the chosen master brand.
Actions with limits on groups of guests are not supported and therefore cannot be set up with a Vrbo channel.
Coupons and packages are not supported by Vrbo.
Because our cost items are being synchronized with Vrbo, and Vrbo calculates the resulting price by itself, there are a number of restrictions on cost items that apply to Vrbo channels.
Solution: Do you have an cost item that is not supported by Vrbo? Then you can exclude the Vrbo channel from the cost item. You do that by editing the cost item and going to the tab applicability. There you set that the cost item applies to specific channels and then you uncheck the Vrbo channel. Save the changes. Do you still want to calculate extra costs? Then create a new cost centre for only the Vrbo channel. The price of this new expense is as close as possible to the original expense, but in a way that Vrbo supports it. For example: if an expense item is normally included in the all-in price, you create an expense item for Vrbo channel only, where it is not included in the all-in price.
Below is the list of restrictions for cost items applicable to a Vrbo channel:
- Vrbo has 2 age groups, children are all ages up to 8 years old and anyone 8 years old or older is an adult. So if you set a cost for adults, VRBO will also pick it up for a child aged 9.
- Because Vrbo only asks for the number of adults and children, cost items of the 'Per person' type, or the 'Per person per night' type are ignored if they do not apply to adults and children;
- Because Vrbo only asks for the presence of pets, not for the number, cost items of the 'Per pet' type, or the 'Per pet per night' type are always applied if any pets are present. The 'Persons or pets count from' and 'Maximum number of people or pets that count' settings are therefore ignored;
- All cost items must be included in the all-in price;
- Percentual cost items are not supported;
- Cost items of the 'Per item' type, or the 'Per item per night' type are not supported;
- Per night ('Per night', 'Per person per night', etc.) cost items cannot have a limited validity. In other words, the validity period must be 'Always'.
In addition, the following restrictions apply to the 'type' of cost items:
- Cost items related to the cleaning must be of the 'Cleaning costs' type;
- Cost items with regard to deposits must be of the 'Deposit' type. Cost items with regard to tourist tax must be of the 'tourist tax' type. This is very important, because the Vrbo 'traveler service fee' and commission are automatically calculated on the total amount minus the deposit and tax (incl. VAT);
- Cost items with a negative amount cannot be synchronized when they are mandatory. They can be excluded in the connection.
- Cost items cannot have a 'price per period' and must have 1 price, for example: it is not possible to increase the price of bed linen from €10 to €11 from 01-01-2022;
- For the rest, the type must be as accurate as possible. For example, an expense item related to an early check-in option should not be of the 'Cleaning costs' type, but the 'Early check-in' type. The 'other' type should be avoided as much as possible.
- Descriptions and short descriptions must be entered and meet the minimum content requirements;
- All accommodations can be booked immediately;
- The rent must always be invoiced;
- If specified, the number of bedrooms must be greater than 0. Namely, Vrbo requires that each of the offered accommodations has at least 1 bedroom. If the number of bedrooms is not specified, Vrbo will automatically assume the number of bedrooms is 1;
- If the number of bathrooms is not specified, Vrbo will automatically assume the number of bathrooms is 0;
- The synchronized check-in time for a type is the maximum of all check-in times for the entire week;
- he synchronized check-out time for a type is the minimum of all check-out times of the entire week;
- Only attributes with linked channel attributes are synchronized. Attributes are synchronized at the type level. This means that attributes on accommodations are ignored;
- Also restrictions regarding pets are synchronized at the type level. This means that if the type allows pets, but an underlying accommodation does not, it will only become clear when making the reservation whether pets are allowed or not. Naturally, it searches for an accommodation that is compatible first.
- If the address differs from the park settings, you must also enter the zip code.
Furthermore, the following limits apply to those cost items which are related to the types that are linked to Vrbo and which are both mandatory and invoiced:
- A maximum of 15 cost items of the 'Cleaning costs' type;
- A maximum of 15 cost items of the 'Deposit' type;
- A maximum of 15 cost items of the 'Per pet' or 'Per pet per night' type, combined;
- A maximum of 15 cost items of the 'Per stay', 'Per night', 'Per person' or 'Per person per night' type, combined.
Lastly, the following limits apply to those cost items which are related to the types that are linked to Vrbo and which are either not required or not invoiced:
- A maximum of 10 cost items of the 'Deposit' type;
- A maximum of 10 cost items of any other type, combined.
It is not possible to make adjustments in the composition of a type?
Please send a message to support to adjust the link of the type, after which you can apply the change.
Fewo-direkt, HomeAway en Abritel
When you link with Vrbo, your offer is automatically placed on Vrbo's other masterbrands as well. For example Arbitel for France, Fewo-direkt for and HomeAway for Australia.
Changing a reservation
Do you change a reservation that came through Vrbo, for example a different departure date, accommodation or channel? Then an update is automatically sent to Vrbo. So they are aware of the change.